MAINTAINING THREAD GAGES:
Thread gages are a crucial part of manufacturers’ quality control process. They ensure parts are interchangeable between multiple products and manufacturers. To extend a thread gage’s life companies should consider the implementation of proper use and training procedures.
– Perform regular checks for debris and nicks in the threads.
– Never force a thread gage into its check position. They should turn smoothly and gently.
– If possible, avoid touching the threads. Skin’s oil can cause build-ups or erosion.
– Clean all debris and build-up off your threads before and after each use.
– A thread gage should be the same temperature the part it is testing. Corresponding temperatures help eliminate thermal expansion.
– Schedule and perform regular calibrations on each gage.
– Before each use, confirm the gage’s calibration date has not passed.
THE IMPORTANCE OF CALIBRATION:
Despite their simplicity, thread gages can easily fall out of calibration even with the proper use. Friction from inserting the gage into its check position can cause the threads to become worn or misshapen. Threads can also become damaged from improper storage, a short fall, or corrosive conditions.
An uncalibrated thread gage means poor reliability and inaccurate measurements. From equipment failure to safety hazards, inaccurate measurements can lead to a litany of issues down the road. Regular calibration proves a company’s commitment to high-quality products and standards. Premier Scales & Systems is proud to provide industry leading thread gage calibrations as part of its extensive list of capabilities.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? We also provide non-accredited calibration services for other equipment. Contact us. We are always adding capabilities, and we can accommodate most requests.
Onsite calibration is available for most products.